Monday 10 May 2010

It's nice to have a nibble on it now and again

I know what I'm doing on Friday night. I'm representing Barnet TUC at the annual trades councils conference, which is held this (and possibly every) year in Blackpool.

Banish stereotypical images of the Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club from your thoughts (Vicki). We've deadly serious matters to discuss. Next week, I shall report back on the proceedings.

Alas, this absence means I shall miss Roger Tichborne's fundraising band night. The rest of you have no such excuse. Please support this event if you can - visit Roger's blog for details.

Meantime, I am getting in the mood for my trip oop north with this video of George Formby singing about his little stick of Blackpool rock. I used to find George a bit creepy but I am warming to him (his wife, apparently, felt the same). He was a good singer, his lyrics are funny, and I love the banjo/banjolele. There is also a story of him being booted out of South Africa in 1946 for playing to black audiences that endears him to the likes of me.

Go on, have a nibble!

1 comment:

Rog T said...

Didn't know about the South African story. I'm sorry to say that I can't think of too many current artists who get booted out of anywhere for their principles