Sunday 26 August 2012

Countries of the world in cross-stitch - in a crypt

I would be good at being retired, it's a shame I'll probably never get there! Not that I don't intend to live to a ripe old age, just that the state retirement age is constantly being put back out of reach.

Were I ever in the fortunate position to have enough to live on, endless leisure time, and enough of my physical faculties to enjoy both, I would do a lot more of what I did yesterday: mooch around central London, taking in the sights.

I visited the church of St-Martin-in-the-Fields, including a wonderful exhibition that is running in the Crypt Gallery until 22 September. It is by the Embroiderers' Guild, called "Stitching a welcome to Athletes of the World".

The nearly 200 Guild branches were each allocated a different country competing in the Olympics Games, to illustrate in embroidery on postcard sized panels.

The results are stunning, a real labour of love in every sense! If you like crafts, needlework or just pretty pictures do go and have a look. The exhibition is free.

I hope they won't mind me illustrating this blogpost with a few of the pictures I took: the colours don't come out all that well, but it should give you an idea of the variety and imagination involved.

Were I ever to retire, I might myself take up needle and thread!

No comments: